I am what they call a “self-improvement enthusiast”—I read about it, write about it, watch videos about it constantly (to a Chris Traeger-ian level). Sharing the lessons that I’ve learned through my many failures will hopefully help you learn from yours! Nothing feels better than feeling happy, in control and empowered.
1. Set goals and smash them! Decide on what you want to improve, create clear goals and never give up until you acheive them. Make a vision board with images that inspire you (just like mine! I have included a picture of it in this post) Decide to take your life in hand and realize that you are the only one in charge of it. Only you have the power to change and become who you want to become.
2. Build your confidence, become secure in who you are, and don’t be afraid to follow your own thoughts. Believe in yourself and your abilities. When you are confident, you can do anything. When you believe in yourself, nothing will ever stop you! Know who you are and take time to get to know yourself, it’s the fun part! If you truly know who you are you will never doubt yourself, you will never blindly follow someone else, you will be grounded. Like Tolkien once said: ”Deep roots are not reached by the frost”.
3. Be positive and stop trying to be perfect. The world won’t end if you make a little mistake (or even a big one). You don’t have to give up everything just because you failed. The world doesn’t end when you fail…in fact, the world doesn’t really care, it has a lot to think about and it goes on. You lose nothing by trying again.
4. A healthy body = a healthy mind! Treating you body well by feeding it well and exercising does wonders for your confidence. Having a healthy body enables you to follow your dreams, it makes it easier for you to acheive your goals. Your body is your vehicle, your vehicle must be in a good condition for it to take you somewhere.
5. A healthy mind = a healthy body. You cannot have a healthy body without first having a healthy mind. You must love yourself and respect yourself enough to eat well and exercise. You must work tirelessly to improving your mental health!
6. Accept that improvement takes a lot of work. Self-improvement does not take 3 hours, or 3 days and maybe not even 3 years. It is a life-long journey that never ends. Never give up, never stop trying to be better, never be lazy about your own well-being. You deserve happiness, love, and you deserve your dreams to come true. Hard work always pays off. You always get what you give.
7. Be kind to yourself and be your own friend, compliment yourself and forgive yourself. See how far you’ve come, not how much you’ve got left! Don’t criticize yourself, but celebrate all the things you do well!
8. Find a balance between being kind to yourself and being kind to others. Recognize that you and your needs are important, but don’t forget that you are not the centre of the universe. Don’t forget that people around you are important and cultivating healthy relationships is important and primordial to a happy life. Making sacrifices, working hard towards building relationships, making efforts pays off. Making someone you love feel good feels good to you too! Never stop making efforts for the ones that you love! Be kind and accepting of others. You’ve heard it a million times before, but it’s true: treat people the way you would like to be treated.
9. Don’t ever settle for something you do not entirely want. You want a better job? A better health? Better friends? Never stop trying to get exactly what you want. The world is large and full of opportunities. Everyone that looks for what they want will get it eventually.
10. Cultivate your interests. Life has so much to offer and there is so much more to life than your job, school, and your daily routine. Find something you love: music, movies, art, food, or all of the above and read about them, write about them, think about them! Like that, life will never be boring! Never stop trying to learn. Knowledge and learning makes life interesting, be curious and open minded!